Takeheart Health Check
Some suggested links
This page contains Non-reciprocal links useful to people who are likely to visit this site
Select here for reciprocal links.
Of Interest to Patients
- Mesothelioma Group
- Mesothelioma Guide Everything you need to know about mesothelioma and how to improve your prognosis.
- American Childhood Cancer Organisation
- A great list of current topics about coronary artery diseas with links to the articles.
- Heart Disease
- National Cancer Institute
- The British Dietetic Association - Weightwise
- Cosmetic Dermatology
- Cancer Profilers
- The American Heart Association
- Links to 780 self-help groups
- Current information about clinical research studies - Astound your doctor.
- Embarrassing problems
- The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) invites you to join an important campaign for survival.
"Act In Time To Heart Attack Signs"
- Study of the Effectiveness of Stop Smoking Services
- Tobacco Advertising
- Society for Research on Nicotine & Tobacco
- Self Help Groups
- The Stroke Association
- Current medical issues of interest to people like you
- Listing of health, medical and paramedical sites. This is a UK nursing based site
- Reuters Health Bang up to date health news service for you.
- The British Heart Foundation
- Mayo Health All you want to know about Viagra, PMT, Alzheimer's, vitamins, chromium, Tamoxifen - and much more.
- Contact-a-Family - Children's conditions and family support networks.
- The longevity calculator How long have you got left?
- The National Osteoporosis Society
Back to the beginning
|3rd December 1967. The first heart transplant. Performed by Christiaan Barnard at the Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town.
A cabinet in the hospital museum contains the heart of the recipient, Louis Washkansky, that of the donor Denise Darvall and a normal heart for comparison.
Of Interest to General Practitioners
- The James Lind Alliance - The importance of 'tests' that reflect the questions and outcomes that matter to patients.
- Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatment (DUETs) - Ian Chalmers
- http://cardiology.jwatch.org/ Edited and reviewed by more than 80 physicians, JWatch regularly combs 180 medical journals for important findings in cardiology, and we feel it would be a great asset to your site's visitors.
- Journal of Medical Internet Research
- National Institute for Clinical Excellence
- "Patient Oriented Evidence that Matters"
- WaX Active Library
- The Hunterian Society
- Nursing & Health Care
Resources on the Web
Travel Nursing is a free career resource for nurses researching career opportunities and searching for positions in the exciting field of travel nursing. The site has free resources on how to become a travel nurse, the benefits, salary, how to find a job and numerous other FAQs.
- Royal College of General Practitioners
- BioMedSearch contains all PubMed/MedLine publications, plus additional journals and a collection of theses and dissertations that are not available elsewhere for free. Given this, BioMedSearch is more comprehensive than any other free site.
- Merck Manual online.
- The Lancet
- UK Primary Care
- The Office for National Statistics - an invaluable source of information.
- All you need to know about obesity
Back to the beginning
Of General Interest
BioMedNet This is a new site that contains all the PubMed/MedLine documents plus additional full-text journals and a huge database of theses and dissertations not available anywhere else for free. So, it is much more comprehensive than any other free biomedical search site.
- thefreecountry.com: Free Programmers' Resources,
Free Webmasters' Resources, Free Security Resources, Free Software
- The Machine Gun Corps Old Comrades Association The only WW1 regimental old comrades association still in existence.
- Health Encyclopedia
- Another Health Encyclopedia
- Goodhealth Worldwide (www.goodhealthworldwide.com) who
specialise in international health insurance policies. As expatriates, we have used them for the past two years and find their choice of insurance packages and rates very competitive and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to others in our position.
- Fax your MP
- The Royal Gunpowder Mills A great day out.
- The Public Record Office 8,205,122 records on 9/7/99
- The Health Education Board for Scotland A very classy site.
- Laslett.com- Advertising Design and Communications
- Keep Our Hospital in Norwich - The story of the campaign to build our new district general hospital in the city centre rather than in the countryside.
- What is Quantum Computing?
- An Aladdin's larder a site for foodies.
- The Tattoo Removal Service Get your tattoos removed painlessly.
Back to the beginning
© G.M.Clayton 1997
GMC Register Number 0147091